Re: vim and file permissions on Windows 7

On 7/14/2010 10:57 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> Drive Y is a mapping to a network location. Interestingly, ls -l
>> /cygdrive returns:
>>   d---------+ 1 ????????       ????????     24576 2010-07-09 11:18 c
>>   drwx------+ 1 Administrators Domain Users     0 2010-07-14 06:58 y
>>
>> The c folder looks weird, the y folder looks correct.
>>
> Try ls -ln /cygdrive.  The user and group ownerships on the root of the
> C: drive are most likely not found in your passwd and group files.  The
> -n option for ls will print the user and group IDs rather than try to
> look up their names.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any way offhand to
> generate the passwd and group entries given only user and group IDs.
> Maybe someone else can comment on that.

I think your answer is correct:
  $ ls -ln /cygdrive
  total 24
  d---------+ 1 4294967295 4294967295 24576 2010-07-09 11:18 c
  drwx------+ 1        544      10513     0 2010-07-14 11:45 y

I edited my /etc/fstab file (it contained only commented lines) and
added this line at the end of the file:
  none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,noacl,posix=0,user 0 0

I closed all my Cygwin processes, opened a new terminal and did an ls-l
on visitor.cpp again:
  -rw-r--r-- 1 cory Domain Users 3236 2010-07-11 22:37 visitor.cpp

Success!!! The permissions are now reported as 644 rather than 000 and I
can edit the file with Cygwin vim and not have bogus read-only issues.
Thank you Jeremy.

cory