Re: fvwm ignores clickToFocus for function keys

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:03:19 -0700 (PDT)
Charles Smith <cts.private@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When typing in an in-focus xterm, but the mouse cursor is elsewhere,
> if I hit a function key, the programmed action does not occur.

> Instead, something else occurs, which I cannot identify (involving
> insertion of characters and/or other actions).  When the mouse is
> positioned directly inside the window, the programmed action occurs
> normally.

> This is different than the operation of fvwm under linux.  In that
> case, an in-focus xterm takes function key input as well as other key
> input, regardless where the mouse cursor is.

a) Are you running fvwm under a rootless X11?
b) are your configs the same?

> Thus, if I have programmed the xterm F12 key to send:

>   2>&1 | less <nl>

> it is only received by bash if the mouse is positioned inside the
> window.  This is a problem if I entered a command (other key input
> obeys the clickToFocus directive) and then hit F12, and some
> unidentifiable garbage gets inserted.

Sounds like something is trashing a buffer... however I'm not entirely
sure.

> I can't verify that this is a cygwin problem, but hours of googling
> haven't revealed any mention of the problem at all, an any platform.

See the 2 questions above...

> Interestingly, I just noticed that the arrow keys seem to work
> normally, regardless of the position of the mouse.  It's only the
> function keys that behave poorly.

Sounds oddly configuration related... then again, i don't use fvwm on
windows.

--~--
Morgan Gangwere