why cannot I see serial devices using ls

I have decided to  port some code to cygwin from linux. It uses serial ports
and under linux I can
ls -l /dev/tty*
If I do this under cygwin I get nothing. If I do
ls -l /dev
I only get a few device. However if I do
ls -l /dev/ttyS0
or
ls -l /dev/com1
then I get what I would expect.
I have searched cygwin FAQ etc and this forum but didn't find anything.
Anybody any ideas what I have to do?