Re: Syntax highlighting not working in vim73

Thank you very much, Larry.  This worked, though perhaps not for the reason you expected.  Excuse the long description that follows, but the fix raised some issues that I thought I should report.

I did just as you suggested, removed the C:/utils paths and reinstalled vim.

I then moved all my config files out of the way (including .vimrc and .bashrc) and tried :syntax on, which worked.

I then tried moving my .bashrc back to ~ and sourced it.  :syntax on did not work, which told me the problem was a line in my .bashrc.

By iteratively cutting the .bashrc in half and sourcing it, I narrowed the problem down to this alias, which I have commented out:

     alias vi='vim';

I suspect people will tell me this was never necessary, but I honestly remember years ago having to put in this alias because when I typed "vi" I got an error back that the command was unrecognized, though "vim" was recognized.

I had thought vi was simply an alias.  It is not.  It's a separate utility.

When I type

     $ which vi

I get:

     /usr/bin/vi

When I type

     $ which vim

I get:

     /usr/bin/vim

When I type:

     $ vim

I get:
                  VIM - Vi IMproved

                     version 7.1
               by Bram Moolenaar et al.
	         [etc.]

When I type:

     $ vi

I get:
              VIM - Vi IMproved

                    version 7.3.3
               by Bram Moolenaar et al.
	         [etc.]

7.3.3 is the one I thought I installed.  I don't recall installing a separate utility "vim 7.1", but I guess I must have.  In any case, I'm very satisfied that "vi" is now showing syntax.  It puzzles me a bit that the specific command "vim" still does not work with syntax, but since I never type "vim" (I could easily reverse the above alias, I suppose), I am not concerned.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
John