Re: "No Package" base-passwd, passwd-grp.sh error messages

On 17/11/2010 13:35, Brian Wilson wrote:
> I recently tried to correct an issue with passwd-grp.sh giving errora and another kind hearted
> soul (Marco Atzeri) pointed out that I needed to reinstall base-passwd.
>
> I've done the base-passwd reinstall, however the following errors were displayed by setup.
>
> Package: base-passwd
> 	passwd-grp.sh exit code 1
> Package: No package
> 	passwd-grp.sh exit code 1
>
> I'm not sure what these "No package" errors mean; and the numeric exit codes are not helpful to
> me.  Should I try running the passwd-grp.sh script in my own bash shell or could that have nasty
> side effects?

Yes, look in /var/log/setup.log.full (as that setup page suggests) or try
running the script manually to discover why it failed.

'No package' simply means that a post-install script was found in
/etc/postinstall, but setup doesn't know which package it belongs to (I guess
'Unknown package' would be clearer).  It's a bug in the current version of
setup that this occurs for all failing postinstall scripts at the moment, see [1]

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2010-08/msg00203.html