Re: Problem installing packages

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Jeffrey Walton  wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> According to http://www.cygwin.com/, "Run setup.exe any time you want
> to update or install a Cygwin package. ":
>
> jeffrey@descartes ~
> $ setup.exe
>
> Result is a message box that states "Please go to the Control Panel to
> install and configure system components."

Hi Jeffrey,
As others have said, you need to run Cygwin's setup.exe
You can download it from http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe ; the link is
on the cygwin.com front page.

It's better to launch it from Explorer or some other GUI file manager,
because then you can verify that it is indeed Cygwin's setup and not
some other random "setup.exe" (just look at the icon; it should be the
rather distinctive Cygwin icon and not the generic "monitor + box +
CD" icon for setup programs).

Csaba