Re: dd to linux partition

>> I installed the fs-driver and it found the drives/file systems
>> .. however it seems to think the linux partition is unformated

Oh dear. I'm afraid I can't mimic your difficulty.

I checked that my 3 Linux partitions are all accessible to dd even though some are on an extended partition, like yours is. All OK. I changed their drive labels to "none" using Ext2IFS so that they were inaccessible to Explorer as H:\ etc and to Cygwin as /cygdrive/h/ etc. But they were still accessible to Cygwin and in particular to dd as /dev/sda2 etc. So all still OK.

Can you read/write/copy/move files from/to your /dev/sda5 when identifying it as H: (or whatever letter you've given it) in Windows Explorer or in a DOS box? And as /cygdrive/h/ in Cygwin?

What do you get from
/usr/sbin/tune2fs.exe -l /dev/sda5
(if anything)?

Fergus