Re: What version of cygwin is considered stable on Windows 7?

On 01/07/2011 01:12 PM, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> When considering building a basically "frozen" version of cygwin - that is to
> say, downloading, configuring, and building a disk image, then turning that disk
> image into a MSI for installation purposes (in an environment where this is
> being done because users will not have Windows 7 permissions to perform
> additional setup or package manipulations), what version of cygwin should be
> considered stable for developer use?  The environment expects to use cygwin/x ,
> bash, and a variety of commonly used "unix-like" applications (awk, perl, wc,
> cat, make, java, ...).
>
> Certainly each alpha and beta release contains bug fixes and enhancements that
> might be useful for the developer to have.  However, in at least this shop,
> there isn't enough time available for software integrators to update the
> installation image daily and push it out.  Instead, there is typically a point
> in time in which a project is created which draws a line, picks the recommended
> release at that point, bundles things up, and then, in the future as problems or
> features demand, a new project is proposed, scheduled, staffed, and executed for
> creating a new release.
>
> Is cygwin 1.7.6 considered stable for use on 32 bit Windows 7? Or do we need to
> drop back farther?

Cygwin is pretty much a moving target, by its very nature as an open
source collection; but each release (1.7.6, 1.7.7 are the most recent,
and 1.7.8 isn't too far off) represents points where the main
cygwin1.dll was thought to be stable.  But that doesn't include the
level of where all the other packages were at.  And the advice from this
list is generally more focused on the latest release - as volunteers, we
don't have time to support a large set of prior releases, and instead
focus on the latest.

If you're that worried about stability, you may want to consider buying
a support contract, to help offload the stability issues out of your
shop and onto the folks at Red Hat, and where support for prior versions
is taken more seriously by nature of the support contract:
http://www.redhat.com/services/custom/cygwin/