Re: suggestion (was Re: 1.7.7: Localization does not follow the language of the OS)

Am 12.01.2011 11:55, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:

>> export LANG="$(locale -uU)"    # (or -sU for system default locale)
>
> It's just another way to express the same.  Backticks are not obsolete.
> The backtick style is exactly as much POSIX as the $() style.  See
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18
>
> Other than that, this isn't a mailing list about programming style.

Try mixing backticks with quoting and blanks, or try nesting them, and then
you'll know it's not about style but pretty much about functionality, hence,
obsolete (whether it's labelled as such in the standard or not - there is a
better alternative).

If it were equivalent, I hadn't posted this.  It isn't.

--
Matthias Andree