Is installing certain packages without installing all pending packages possible?

Hi

When I need to install certain packages Setup.exe also installs all the pending
upgrades as well. Is it possible to disable upgrading at all? Sometimes there
are tens of new packages which means that I need to click on every single item
and select "keep" one by one.

One of the reason that is na issue for me is that I also use some sourceware
packages and Cygwin thinks that it has the newer version but tries to install
the older versions. Soo I really do not want to upgrade anything unless it is
time for an upgrade(do not mess with a working system rule).

For example I just wanted to install "ctags", Cygwin installed all the pending
packages on one of my laptops.

thanks

kerem