Re: tar --atime-preserve with an empty file triggers a warning

On Mar  7 07:32, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/07/2011 07:20 AM, EXCOFFIER Denis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've the experienced the following (100% reproducible under 1.7.7-1 or
> > 1.7.8-1):
> >
> > % cp /dev/null empty
>
> Why not the much simpler:
>
> : > empty
>
> > % tar cf empty.tar --atime-preserve empty
> > /usr/bin/tar: empty: Cannot utime: Invalid argument
> > /usr/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> > %
> >
> > Of course the empty.tar is created as expected (ie identical as without
> > `--atime-preserve). The warning is not produced on Solaris, Darwin or
> > Linux,
> > therefore i contacted this list. Do you think, with your expertise, that i
> > should contact bug-tar also?
>
> No, this list is correct.  utime should not fail on an empty file, so
> you've probably exposed a bug in cygwin1.dll.

THis looks like a tar bug, per the strace.  For some reason, if the
file is empty, tar calls futimens on file descriptor 0 (which is
connected to /dev/tty1 in my case), while it call futimens on
file descriptor 4 (connected to the file empty) if the file empty
is... well, not empty.

Corinna

Red Hat