Re: Unset TMP/TEMP in profile? (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67)

Am 09.03.2011 10:26, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Mar 9 08:25, Andy Koppe wrote:
On 8 March 2011 15:03, Andy Koppe wrote:
On Mar 8 13:49, David Sastre wrote:
2011/3/8, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
FWIW, I'd prefer to keep the unsetting of TEMP/TMP in ~/.bashrc (i.e.
based on user preference) vs. /etc/profile, since I have multiple
accounts on one of my machines and with my 'work' account, if I
cygstart several different native Windows apps without TEMP/TMP being
set they don't play nice.  I realize I could write wrapper scripts as
per Angelo's suggestion, but I'd prefer not to.

As the old adage goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
As discussed in the ITA thread, one of the goals of base-files-4.0 is
not relying
in users' config files at all regarding any item that needs to be
defined (or undefined :)
So if TMP/TEMP has to be unset, or set to /tmp per default, or any
other default
decided here, that is something to be done in /etc/profile, IMHO.
Fair point. That avoids the situation where users with existing home
directories don't get a change.
One more thought on this: LANG is set to C.UTF-8 in
/etc/profile.d/lang.{c,}sh, which allows users to change or delete
that without stopping /etc/profile from being updated. This approach
might be appropriate here as well.
That's certainly feasible in some way, but I don't understand what
you're trying to accomplish.  In what situation would this have to be
changed on a per-system level?  Why isn't it sufficient that the
user can change it in the own user profiles?
For example if cygwin is still installed on a FAT drive (I know ...) it may be useful (for all users) to switch /tmp to an NTFS directory (e.g. XWin used to fail with a FAT /tmp for a while).

Thomas