Re: Resetting time via time server doesn't affect cygwin 'date'

On Mar 30 18:16, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Henry S. Thompson (Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:10:37 +0100)
> > I'm running 1.7.9-1 on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop. I recently noticed
> > that my box was 15 seconds adrift from my Linux desktop. After some
> > minor hassles, I was able to use Clock/Date and Time/Internet
> > Time/Change Settings/Update now to sync with a local ntp server, the
> > same one my desktop is using. At this point the Windows clock on the
> > laptop and my desktop were in sync, but 'date' from a bash window was
> > _still_ 15 seconds out.
> >
> > Is this a pervasive problem (to test this yourself, just use the
> > Windows UI to set your clock forward a minute, test the 'date' (it
> > should be as per Windows clock), then use the above path to resync
> > with a time server, and observe that 'date' is _not_ adjusted back),
> > or particular to Windows 7/Cygwin 1.7.9?
>
> I just tested it: I set the time manually back five minutes via the the
> control panel > Date and Time. The time change was reflected in a Cmd
> window ("time /t") while a "date" in bash still showed the "old" time (+
> 5min). Where does the bash date gets the time from?!

There's an internal counter which is initialized by the first Cygwin
process started in a session.  So time chanegs made by a Cygwin process
are seen by other Cygwin processes in the same session, but time changes
outside of Cygwin or outside of the same session are not seen, unless all
Cygwin processes in a session are stopped and restarted.  This will be
fixed at one point.

Corinna

Red Hat