Re: newlib and long-double question

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Christopher Faylor  wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 08:20:13AM -0700, Necro Cow wrote:
>>Hello.
>>
>>I have recently discovered that the cygwin version I am using (1.7.7)
>>doesn't support many long-double function, like sqrtl, modfl, frexpl,
>>etc.
>>
>>I have been reading on newlib's website, sourceware.org/newlib, that
>>as of version 1.18.0, such long-double functions are now supported.
>>(http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2009/msg01135.html)

further the newlib announce says:
* long double math routines added for platforms where LDBL == DBL

so in reality you gain no additional performance on the double.

>>What I can't seem to find out is, what version of newlib is in the
>>newest release of cygwin, and if it has this better support for
>>long-double functions.
>
> Cygwin uses whatever is in the newlib tree as of its release date. ?That
> means that since Cygwin 1.7.7-1 was released in August 2010* it would
> incorporate any newlib changes from 2009. ?That doesn't mean that we would
> export every single thing that newlib provides, however. ?If functionality
> is missing that means that no one has taken the time to get it working in
> the Cygwin DLL.
>
> cgf
>
> *http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2010-08/msg00035.html

on 1.7.8 most of the missing "double" function were added
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-03/msg00000.html

I thought to implement also the long double but as doubles are 64 bit
and long doubles are just 80 bits on windows, I found the effort not worth.

Marco