Re: windows-to-windows openssh buffering issue

On 6/19/2011 4:36 AM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:31:12, Larry Hall wrote

On 6/18/2011 5:25 AM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:52:35, Larry Hall wrote:

On 6/16/2011 10:20 PM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

Is there some setting for OpenSSH on the server side that would allow
me to run the program on machine B in native-windows non-pty mode
so that the buffering is fine? If not, what else can I do?

No. OpenSSH uses ptys - it doesn't matter what terminal or console you're using. I don't know of a way to make OpenSSH behave the way you want it to with Windows console programs.

Is this issue particular to OpenSSH, or is ssh-ing into to a windows machine a lost cause in general?

Since non-Cygwin executables don't understand ptys, they think they are
dealing with a pipe and so they buffer their output.  It's not specific
to OpenSSH.  You'd see the same issue running these programs under xterm
or mintty.  I personally wouldn't define anything about this particular
issue as a "lost cause" but YMMV.  Quite some time ago there was an attempt
to smooth out this issue with a utility call ttyfier but it had it's issues
and has pretty much disappeared.  I don't know of any other aids out there,
though that doesn't mean there isn't something .  The only things I can
suggest are that you make sure there's not some Cygwin utility that does what
you want or that you write something that does.

What I meant was, is it possible to write a different SSH server implementation for windows - perhaps a native one - that doesn't suffer from this problem? (And if so, do you know of one?) Or would all attempts at an SSH server implementation run into this issue?

ptys are a means to an end. They are not a requirement to implement SSH or anything else for that matter, if that's what you're asking. I'm not aware of many other SSH implementations on Windows. MKS and SFU each have one. I haven't used them though.

--
Larry