why does domain member workstation, when logging into PDC, send

domain qualified username?   If I have a worstation that is a member of
a domain, and if I am logged in with a domain account, then I believe
the default is that I am simply 'user', vs. if I was logged in with a local
account, I'd be "localmachine\user"....

Before I was a member of a domain, if I logged in from the machine (and still),
it tries to log me in with account 'user' (no prefix)....but now that I am in
the domain, and loggin on domain account, it tries to log me in as 'Domain\user', which seems to cause problems.

It causes confusion on the server end, because, on the PDC, users are the domain
users (default) with no prefix.

I've quadruple-checked my pam-stack, but there's no option in the winbindd module to
strip off and convert a "Domain\user' -> 'user' if current machine is in 'domain'
(and pdc), so I'm not sure where the problem is...or who should be sending what...
Ideas?