Using cygwin to install grub on windows 7 (does not work)

When I use cygwin to install grub on my Windows 7 HD, I boot and just get the grub> prompt.

I have googled a googol or more times for solutions. Has anyone, anywhere been able to use cygwin to successfully install grub and get the graphical login (with a menu)?

I used the mkconfig command to generate what I assumed to be the config file that would present the menu.

I have two HD's in the system (Windows & Linux as 2nd HD) but nothing works. For various reasons I cannot use the linux HD (boot from there) to install grub.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, this has been extremely frustrating.

J.V.