Re: vi in rxvt-Session really slow

Renà Berber <r.berber <at> computer.org> writes:

> On 7/8/2011 8:50 AM, Dieter wrote:
>
> > Why is remote vi so slow when I use rxvt? Would that be better if I use xterm
> > (currently not installed)?
>
> I don't see this problem...
>
> > Additional information:
> > I had to set
> > export TERM=cygwin
> > in my ~/.bashrc - otherwise the remote host answers
> > "unknown terminal type, falling back to 'dumb'"
> > or
> > "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional"
>
> That is wrong, TERM should be set to xterm.
>
> What was the value of TERM before you changed it?

Originally it was set to rxvt-cygwin-native which caused this error-msg.
I've found on the internet the tip to change the TERM-Variable to "cygwin" or
"xterm"... both solved my problem, but wie all of them I have the problem with
the slow vi.
"xterm" or "cygwin" doesn't change anything regarding my vi-problem.

Details to my vi-problem:
When I press Enter after "vi /etc/resolv.conf" it needs around 4 seconds to open
the vi-Editor on a multicore-machine... when I connect to the same machine using
putty or ssh in the basic-bash-console instead of the cygwin-ssh-client in a
rxvt-terminal there is no noticeable delay between pressing Enter and appearing
the vi-screen.

Any hints?

Rgds
Dieter