Re: Pthreads and GDB?

> Since cygwin1.dll is multithreaded, I routinely set breakpoints which
> are only hit in a thread.  So, yes, gdb is supposed to be multi-thread
> aware.

I have a 2 thread program.  I set the break for main() and run (to main):

      (gdb) b main
      Breakpoint 1 at 0x401191
      (gdb) r
      Starting program: /home/John/projects/pthreads/test1/a.exe
      [New thread 3680.0x13e8]
      Error: dll starting at 0x76ff0000 not found.
      Error: dll starting at 0x76590000 not found.
      Error: dll starting at 0x76ff0000 not found.
      Error: dll starting at 0x76c40000 not found.
      [New thread 3680.0xc7c]
      Breakpoint 1, 0x00401191 in main ()

Wait a few seconds and start to step:

      (gdb) n
      Single stepping until exit from function main,
      which has no line number information.
      [New thread 3680.0x1410]
      [New thread 3680.0x1540]
      Counter value functionCount1: 1
      Counter value functionCount2: 2
      Final count: 10
      Program exited normally.

As you can see the threads have finished executing, along with the
main thread, *before * I ever get a chance to step to the first
pthread_create().  Let alone set a break in a thread.

Why?

Thanks, Jan