popen () fails when running from the windows prompt

i,

I am planning a minimalistic installation of my application using cygwin. Everything works fine, except that popen() fails when running from the windows prompt.

If I ran from the bash shell prompt of cygwin , it works fine. It is the only api I use that is failing. I created a simple, test program to narrow the issue, and it also fails.

my intention is an installation with just my app, plus the cygwin.dll, as little files as possible.

This is my test program:

main (argc,argv)
int argc;
unsigned char *argv[];
{
FILE *f;
char command[80]="ls -l CGI-BIN";
char response[200];
    f = popen (command,"r");
    if (f == NULL) {
       puts ("stream error");
       exit (0);
    }
     while (fgets(response,199,f) != NULL) {
        puts (response);
     }
   fclose (f);
}

The program allays fails printing "stream error"

I guess that might be some additional setup I'm missing, such as environment variables?

I apreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks,

Luiz