Re: install on win7 enterprise, can't modify bash start up shortcut

Thank you for all the clarification on shells and terminals, I have always used the terms interchangeably, which I guess was not correct.

A few replies,

> Is there any religious taboo that would prevent you from opening the
> batch script in an editor and see that you're wrong?

No, I did this on my XP cygwin install, and there is clearly nothing there to indicate the windows size, nor was there anything in the bashrc files, so I didn't know where to look next. I suppose I need to look at ini files for the terminal that gets started.

> That window belongs to cmd.exe; bash runs inside it. The settings are
> in the registry; for the Cygwin shortcut it's

This would imply that I'm trying to change a registry setting related to cmd.exe and the OS isn't letting me. The confusing thing is that I have done this before on the exact same OS and not had this issue.

Just for giggles, I tried to change the terminal settings for my windows command line shortcut. I did not get the same error, but I did notice that there was a menu entry called "Defaults" as well as "Properties". This gives the same options, but this time when I save them there is no error. Changing the defaults changes the window options for both the bash shortcut and the windows cmd shortcut (I have both on my desktop).

So I guess this is resolved, but I suppose I should look in to running the mintty terminal. What are the basic advantages of this compared to running in cmd?

LMH