Re: env var or mount option for multibyte<->unicode filenames conversion

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Aug 18 14:19, Ilya Basin wrote:
> > Hi. Currently, the code page for internal convertion of file names to
> > unicode depends on programs's locale.
> > I want to keep UTF-8 as current locale, but use CP1251 for this
> > conversion. Is it possible?
>
> Maybe if you describe your problem slightly more detailed?  Why would
> you want CP1251 in a Cygwin application if all other apps are using UTF-8?
>
> Corinna

Hi! I've just found your reply in web archives; didn't receive a copy
for some reason.

It's for git. Let me repost the question to git list:

Most of our developers use msysgit which stores filenames in CP1251
encoding. Two of us use cygwin and linux.

When checkout on both linux and cygwin, Russian filenames are garbled.

On Cygwin it even worse, because the conversion of invalid UTF-8 chars
to Unicode, made by Cygwin is irreversible, causing git to miss
the files it've just checked out. Workaround for Cygwin is to change
LANG from "C.UTF-8" to "ru_RU.CP1251". It fixes filenames, but brakes
everything else: log (fixed by i18n.logOutputEncoding), status, show,
diff.