finished.  See for example [3], which does this (that particular implementation needs work -
powercfg needs different options in Windows XP and earlier).

Which approach do people think is better?  Or is there another, better way?

#2 seems more fragile, in the sense that it will fail to restore the original power scheme if the
parent process is killed before it finishes executing.  By contrast, #1 doesn't have any cleanup to
do at the end, so there's no harm done if the parent process is killed.

#2 will prevent the user from manually putting the computer to sleep or hibernating, but I'm not
sure if that's an advantage.  Users won't necessarily know why their computer won't go to sleep when
they tell it to, or why after a while it starts to work again.  Whether it's worthwhile may depend
on how important it is for the requested command to finish - although that still isn't guaranteed
under #2, since the user can still shut the machine down.

Finally, it seems likely that #1 needs lower privileges than #2, although I'm not sure about that
yet.

[1]
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/222308-vista-goes-sleep-while-burning-dvd.html#post1022013
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa373208(v=vs.85).aspx