Re: error while running shell in emacs

On 9/30/2011 3:04 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 9/30/2011 10:27 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
Hi,

after moving to a new position I have set up a fresh Cygwin installation:

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sbhc123 1.7.9(0.237/5/3) 2011-03-29 10:10 i686 Cygwin

I use some Emacs extensions which execute external programs using
(call-process). This used to work on my previous setup, but it fails on
my current box. The following command run in Emacs reproduces what seems
to be the problem:

(call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")
bash: Kann die Prozessgruppe des Terminals nicht setzen (-1).:
Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: Keine Job Steuerung in dieser Shell.

As you can see, my Cygwin also started speaking German, but I didn't get
round to fix that yet. The messages loosely translate to: "cannot set
terminal process group" and "no job control in this shell".

Is this an incorrect setup of either Cygwin or Emacs, or is this indeed
a problem that crept into Cygwin recently?

I can reproduce this problem. It reminds me of a problem that I reported in

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-06/msg00174.html ,

but that started with the 2011-05-05 snapshot and was fixed in the
2011-06-16 snapshot. The problem you're reporting exists in Cygwin 1.7.9
and persists in the latest snapshot, but with different symptoms:
Instead of printing error messages, emacs hangs and has to be killed.

If one of the Cygwin developers wants to look at this, here are the
steps to reproduce it:

1. Start emacs.
2. Type <Ctrl-x>b<Enter>

[This should put you in the *scratch* buffer.]

3. Type (or copy and paste) the following text into the *scratch* buffer:

(call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")

4. With the cursor positioned immediately after the closing parenthesis,
type <Ctrl-j>

FWIW, the change in behavior (i.e., emacs hanging instead of giving an error message) starts with the 2006-06-13 snapshot. And it may be misleading to say that emacs hangs. What happens is that it becomes unresponsive to key stokes (presumably it's waiting). If I go to another window and run ps, the bash process shows up with an "S" at the left. If I kill that process, emacs behaves normally again.

Ken