Re: cygwin started speaking German today

On Oct  4 20:03, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schreef, Op 4-10-2011 16:29:
> >Does it? Even if I'm running a german OS, I absolutely hate to see
> >german diagnostic output from gcc, and I absolutely hate certain
> >programs using non-ASCII chars in output. (In)famous examples are
> >Unicode quoting chars rather than ' or ", or using the Unicode
> >hyphen character rather than -. But that's just me.
>
> You got used to ASCII, like all the old-timers... ;)
> export LANG=C is your solution.
>
> By the way, I noticed that with the default locale C.UTF-8 the
> nl_langinfo(CODESET) C function <langinfo.h> returns wrongly
> "ISO-8859-1",

Not for me:

  $ cat > setl.c <<EOF
  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <locale.h>
  #include <langinfo.h>

  int main(int argc, char **argv)
  {
    char *loc;
    if (argc > 1)
      loc = setlocale (LC_ALL, argv[1]);
    else
      loc = setlocale (LC_CTYPE, NULL);
    printf ("locale: %s charset: %s\n", loc, nl_langinfo (CODESET));
    return 0;
  }
  EOF
  $ gcc -o setl setl.c