Re: Problem with execution of binary file

On Nov  3 12:20, Edvardsen KÃre wrote:
> I keep getting the "cannot execute binary file" and don't understand
> why. I have compiled same software on two different machines, but only
> one of the binaries work (it works on both machines). The successful
> machine is a HP laptop with W7 Pro, the other unsuccessful is a HP
> desktop in a AD network domain with W7 Enterpr and cygwin is installed
> with lokal admin rights only, so I keep getting the "Your group is
> currently mkpasswd..." message.

What about running

  $ mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
  $ mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group

so you don't get this message?

> I don't know if this may affect the
> result, but should not, as I can run the other successful binary.
>
> I was guided to run "strace" along with the call to the erroneous binary
> and the output is pasted below. The problem binary is called
> "FLEXPART_GFORTRAN" Can anyone see what's wrong in the strace log?

No.  What the strace shows is that bash does not even try to fork
and then exec FLEXPART_GFORTRAN.  Rather, it just opens the file,
reads the first few bytes and then prints the error message:

>  4514  125618 [main] bash 536 open: open (./FLEXPART_GFORTRAN, 0x0)
>  [...]
>    25  126365 [main] bash 536 open: 3 = open (./FLEXPART_GFORTRAN, 0x0)
>   209  126574 [main] bash 536 isatty: 0 = isatty (3)
>  [...]
>    25  126623 [main] bash 536 lseek64: 0 = lseek (3, 0, 1)
>  [...]
>    24  126710 [main] bash 536 readv: 80 = readv (3, 0x28CA34, 1), errno
> 0
>   458  127168 [main] bash 536 open: open
> (/usr/share/locale/locale.alias, 0x0)

For some reason which isn't visible in the strace, bash doesn't even
close the file anymore.

What does `file FLEXPART_GFORTRAN.exe' print?

Corinna

Red Hat