RE: Cygwin slow on x64 systems?

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Buchbinder, Barry wrote:
Tim McDaniel sent the following at Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:59 AM

BLODA is the Big List Of Dodgy Apps, apparently from http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda 44. What applications have been found to interfere with Cygwin?

Unless someone has another suggestion, maybe I just have to assume I'm
SOL.

If you use bash completion, try not using it.

I Googled for that and found the explanation, that "bash completion" isn't for ALL completion like I had assumed from the name, but instead programmable context-sensitive completion. Removing it did indeed massively speed up filename completion, which I use all the time. Many thanks.

Also, check your PATH.  If you set it as a user windows environmental
variable, windows may be pre-pending a long "for everyone" PATH.  See
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.path>.  See also
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.slow>.

Thank you very much for the pointers. Unfortunately, I have not modified the /etc/profile version of PATH, so it is

$ echo "$PATH"
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/Windows/system32:/Windows:/Windows/System32/Wbem:/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/Program Files/Perforce

# A form for easier readability:
$ echo $PATH | tr ':' '\n'
/usr/local/bin
/usr/bin
/Windows/system32
/Windows
/Windows/System32/Wbem
/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0
/Program Files/Perforce

And I see slowness even when everything is a bash builtin (except
perhaps for whatever is handling "|" -- I suppose it's forking bash
itself):

$ time echo hi | read x

real    0m1.928s
user    0m0.031s