Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] CALL FOR TESTING: Cygwin 1.7.10

Andy Koppe writes:

> On 8 December 2011 00:33, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen writes:
> >>
> >> Just so it's clear why I did that, maybe you want to have a look into
> >> the brief discussion on the cygwin-developers list:
> >> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2011-11/msg00000.html
> >
> > All good reasons, but you are going to break backward compatibility.
> > At least, lyx is going to be affected. It currently works with unicode
> > without a glitch
>
> That's impossible if it's using Ansi APIs.

That is not the issue. No Windows API is directly used, but there is the
need to convert from posix to Windows paths when the TeX engine is native
Windows. The assumption that cygwin_conv_path does not change the encoding
is made (this is so until 1.7.9) and if this is going to change it will cause
havoc. Indeed, the path should be written to the latex file according to the
encoding used (e.g., \usepackage[cp852]{inputenc}), and lyx takes care of the
needed conversion. But, if the encoding is changed by cygwin_conv_path ...

--
Enrico