cyg*.dll, linking

I'm building a few libraries which are dependencies of a program I'm
building. Most of them build via autotools. Doing "make install"
installs files *.a, *.la, *.dll.a. Linking the executable succeeds
without error, however when running it, the loader complains that it
can't find cyg*.dll files. E.g. if it was libfoo.a that was installed,
the executable wants cygfoo-6.dll to run.

These cyg-*.dll files exist in the build directories, generally in
src/.libs . The program will run if I add all of these to the PATH.

Seems like either the link or the install isn't working as it should.
Are there docs anywhere that explain how this is supposed to work?