Re: New Installation fails: cygreadline7.dll not found.

On 12/14/2011 10:51 PM, Richard Troy wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm a long-time Cygwin user and recently got a new Windows 7 box that
needed to be taught bash and other neat tricks, so naturally I downloaded
the latest version - 1.7.9-1, I believe - and then did the installation
from the local repository. I told it to install "absolutely everything".

When it got to the end, the post installation activities failed in
spectacular fashion. My guess is none of the Cygwin post-installation
functions were actually performed. The first one to fail was
/etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh, which complained that
cygreadline7.dll was missing. This was followed by a large number of
errors substantially identical to that (differing only in what program was
complaining), and then there were 202 errors where various packages
complained about some package component returning "exit code -1073741515".

Sure enough, there is no cygreadline7.dll on the box. Hmmm...

...I figured this must be a common problem, but didn't find it in the FAQ,
and when I did a search of the e-list, it returned zero matches for
"cygreadline7.dll" and "missing". A web search yielded no results, either.

I have cygreadline7.dll available on other boxes, in /bin, but the new
system doesn't have it, and the only file starting with "cygr" in /bin is
cygrunsrv, yet there are other .dll files in the /bin directory.

Can I / should I merely copy over the cygreadline7.dll from an older
installation of cygwin? Other comments / ideas?  ...I apologize in advance
if I missed something obvious.

I recommend running 'setup.exe' again and selecting 'libreadline7' from the list of packages. That should help.

--
Larry