re: 1.7.9: Installing error: fonts and X-start-menu-icons

Sigh...

I thought I had things working, but... the more I used it, the more I'm realizing that all of my woes are because I was trying to install it on a Samba share. I have done the same thing on my local hard drive (which doesn't have much space, which is why I was trying to install it on the network drive), and I've had no issues.

What I found is that pretty much everything was screwed up in subtle and bizarre ways: from the PATH variable not even being followed properly (the Windows "find" was being used even though /usr/bin was in the PATH before /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32), to constant problems with execute permissions. Funny enough, I was able to get the X Server running and did manage to run an xterm and xcalc, although I didn't attempt to run anything else before turning back to some basics.

In short, kindly disregard my long report... I don't think it has anything to do with the Cygwin installation, and a lot to do with interaction with Samba's view of the world. I suspect that it could eventually be made to work (turn on xattrs and acls on the filesystems for instance), but it's not worth the effort at this time to labour through it. I'll find the space necessary on my local drive ;).

Sorry to trouble.