Re: Opening new cygwin window with arguments

On 1/11/2012 10:26 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
On 1/11/12 10:22 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
On 1/11/2012 7:37 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
mintty -e tail -f foo&

The -e is optional, but I like keeping my mintty commands consistent
with those I write for other terminals.

HTH,
Gary

I am using cygwin 1.7.9-1 per cygcheck.

I tried using mintty and it looks better than the default window the
launching cygwin puts up. But I noticed that if I "vim" a file,
nothing happens. When I control-C out, I can see that actually
something did happen as there is a ".whatever.swp" file created. For
the heck of it, I tried under an x shell (?hope I have my terminology
right?) via "startxwin&" and had the same vim experience (no file
opening but a swp file left).
Are you using Cygwin vim or a native win32 vim? Win32 console programs
generally aren't happy in mintty, and you should use their Cygwin
equivalents.

Daniel:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I just did a which on vim and can see that it is referencing /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Vim/vim72/vim. My bad as I should have checked that .. I somehow was convinced that I had gotten a vim from cygwin setup.

Let me correct that and see if things work.

Once again, thanks,
Paul