Re: mkpasswd -l and mkgroup -l results: [1722]: The RPC server is unavailable

On Feb  2 01:28, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:12, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The User's Guide may help:
> >>
> >> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup
> >> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
> >>
> >> Try `mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd'. ÂOtherwise /etc/passwd is treated as
> >> argument to the -l option.

> >> Who on earth told you that? ÂSee http://cygwin.com/
> >>

> >> Corinna
> >>

> > ÂOh my! Â:-)
> >
> > ÂMy vision is really getting bad! ÂI did not see that I missed the redirection.
> >
> > ÂThank you for the gentle correction; it works fine now.
> >
> > ÂSorry for the noise.
> >
> > Ken
>
> Update:
>
> Starting the mintty shelll again I get the same message suggesting
> running the mkpasswd and mkgroup.
>
> I do the command without the -d and everything seems to work.
>
> mkpasswd -l > /.etc/passwd; mkgroup -l > /etc/group
                ^^^^^^'
              <dot>etc?

> I exit the shell and start mintty again and the warning appears again
> suggesting the running of mkpasswd and mkgroup.
>
> Why doesn't the change persist?

Did you check /etc/passwd and /etc/group if they contain your user and
your primary group account?  Are you sure you are using a local account?
Compare the information with the output of

  /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/whoami /user /groups

Important are not the account names, but the account SIDs!  You can change
the user and group names in /etc/passwd and /etc/group whatever you like
(see http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html).

If you're using a domain account on the machine, you either have to use
the mkpasswd/mkgroup -d option to get the domain and group accounts, or
you can just restrict the files to your user by using the -c option and
append the output to the files, like this:

  $ mkpasswd -c >> /etc/passwd; mkgroup -c >> /etc/group

or, in one go:

  $ mkpasswd -l -c >> /etc/passwd; mkgroup -l -c >> /etc/group

Corinna

Red Hat