problem with /dev/dsp

I used to be able to copy WAV files to /dev/dsp, they would play,
and I would know what was happening in my scripts.  Now I get a
silent error message.

$ /bin/cp bin/alert.wav /dev/dsp
cp: writing `/dev/dsp': No space left on device
cp: failed to extend `/dev/dsp': No space left on device

$ cat bin/alert.wav > /dev/dsp
cat: write error: No space left on device

$ cat bin/alert.wav >> /dev/dsp
cat: write error: No space left on device

echo '^G' works fine.

Everything up to date.  Seems correlated with the new cygwin1.dll.

Thanks,

- Barry