Re: Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem

On 3/1/2012 1:38 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
On 03/01/2012 01:05 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 03/01/2012 10:53 AM, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
You don't think that Setup telling the user "package xyz requires
package xinit" might at least tip off some users that running xyz now
requires starting an X server?

Even if it doesn't reduce the questions, would it at least reduce the
problem of users now having to run Setup a second time to download and
install the xinit package?
While I can't control whether Yaakov adds xinit as a dependency to
tcl-tk, I personally wouldn't mind adding xinit as a prereq to gitk and
git-gui, since I maintain that package.  There's still that annoyance
factor that just depending on xinit won't get X running, but at least it
will let you download all the bits in one run of setup.exe instead of
hitting the FAQ and finding out you have to rerun setup.exe.
I don't think I've ever seen it, but does setup.exe support the notion
of recommended and/or suggested packages?

It seems that the main issue is that xinit is not a hard dependency of
these tools/libraries and thus they should not have a hard dependency on
xinit defined in the package definition.  However, it might make sense
to make xinit a recommended dependency that setup.exe could offer to
install by default or at least notify the user that they may want to
install.

I suspect not, but I would like to see such recommended and/or suggested packages.
Back when I was using Cygwin gcc so I could learn C, m4 was not installed along
with it, and I believe that m4 should at least be shown as a recommended package
to go along with gcc.