Re: 1.7.10 cygrunsrv.exe fails with "fork: 11, Resource temporarily unavailable"

On Mar  8 16:11, Ulf-Dietrich Braumann wrote:
> I guess, when I was installing the service before, I may have
> changed something in the Properties menu of the CYGWIN sshd service,
> perhaps I tested something under the SYSTEM account and then have
> reverted to the cyg_server account, so by this action finally the -D
> may got lost for the call of sshd. BTW, I do not actually understand
> the meaning of -D (When this option is specified, sshd will not
> detach and does not become a daemon. This allows easy monitoring of
> sshd.)

On UNIX-based systems, service processes usually fork and the child
process runs as the service in the background, while the parent process
exits.  That's what is called starting a daemon process.

The Windows Service Control Manager (SCM) doesn't support this mode of
operation, and cygrunsrv is the actual service process from SCM's point
of view.  cygrunsrv itself starts the *real* service like sshd, but in
the default mode it just forks and execs it off, then waits for the
process to stop.  That's what the -D option of sshd is for.  It does
not create a daemon process and exits, rather the parent just runs as
the service directly.

Cygrunsrv can also handle daemon services, but that is only useful
if the service doesn't support running non-daemonized.  This also
requires the service to write a pidfile and using the cygrunsrv
--pidfile option.

Corinna

Red Hat