Re: New package: _autorebase. Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs

On Mar 28 03:48, Warren Young wrote:

> >Please also note that this package requires at least the new rebase
> >version 4.1.0.  The changes in rebase 4.1.0 deal gracefully with DLLs
> >which are in use while rebaseall runs.
>
> Does this mean I can continue to leave the cron service running
> through a setup.exe upgrade as long as neither cygwin1.dll nor
> cyggcc_s-1.dll is being upgraded?  (Nor cron itself, obviously.)

Yes, that should be possible.  You will find a list of DLLs which
couldn't be rebased in setup.log afterwards, but they are not
touched and rebase runs along.

Of course, this may have side effects.  Usually rebase packs the DLLs
side-by-side address-wise, so that they don't overlap and don't leave
holes in the memory layout.  In-use DLLs can hamper this effort so
there's a chance to leave holes.  And if, for some reason, two DLLs
are in use which overlap with each other, they will still overlap with
each other afterwards and can result in rebase problems subsequently.
Of course none of the rebased DLLs will overlap with the in-use DLLs.

Occassionally checking for overlaps with `rebase -si' doesn't hurt.

Corinna

Red Hat