Re: Cygwin 1.7.14-2 setup.exe v2.772 broken?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 09:00:17AM +0000, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>> I think I fixed the problem.  I at least fixed *a* problem.  The latest
>> setup.exe, now on cygwin.com has the fix that solved the issue for me.
>
>The setup.exe currently on the website shows version 2.774 in the GUI, but logs
>version 2.769 to the command line.

I can't duplicate this.  If I redirect stdout I get this:

Starting cygwin install, version 2.774

and the log files contain the correct version too.

Moreover, I can't find the string 2.769 in any object file that was used to
create setup.exe.

>BTW, would it be possible to show on the website what version of setup
>it is?

No, I don't think that level of bookkeeping is worth it.  setup.exe is
not a product.  You don't have to download it to get new features that
you need day-to-day.  If you are worried about always getting the newest
version before updating Cygwin then you could just write a "runsetup.bat"
file:

@echo off
wget -O setup.exe --quiet http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
.\setup.exe

And execute "runsetup" every time you want to perform an update.

cgf