Re: Why Cygwin tries to pull in winsock2.h when compiling a Linux application?

Hi Patrick

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Patrick L  wrote:
> Hi, I am using Cygwin 1.7.11 i686 on Windows 7 PC. I am trying to compile a Linux C++ application on Cygwin.
>
> When I use the ./configure command, Cygwin shows the following error messages:
>
> checking winsock2.h usability... no
> checking winsock2.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: present but cannot be compiled
(snip)
> winsock2.h and ws2tcpip.h are Windows header files for Windows network/socket programming. Why Cygwin tries to pull in Windows header files when I am compiling a Linux C++ application?

Because the configure script is trying to find them.
I suspect this is a program (or its configure script) which "thinks"
that Cygwin is Windows. (It appears to be testing explicitly for
winsock2.h; it shouldn't)

> How can I fix this issue?

Tell the authors of the program that Cygwin is not Windows.

Take a look at config.log; it should contain the error message from
the compiler when it tried to use winsock2.h
Search for         checking winsock2.h usability            in
config.log; there should be a short C source, a gcc invocation and an
error message.

Csaba