Re: compiling coreutils with cygport

On 2012-07-13 17:03, Eric Blake wrote:
Actually, coreutils tries to use all the *_unlocked variants of stdio,
since those have better speed in single-threaded programs (all but sort
are single-threaded, and sort skips stdio).  I do know that cygwin has
putchar_unlocked, but does not have quite as many *_unlocked variants as
Linux, so it may be a case where the configure logic to detect _unlocked
functions went wrong and cygwin ends up using putchar instead of
putchar_unlocked as a result.  I'll have to look into it more.

Currently we have the four required by POSIX: getc_unlocked, getchar_unlocked, putc_unlocked, and putchar_unlocked. A little while ago I was working on the others which are available in Linux, as gcc will use them if available, but they didn't seem to make much difference to gcc's performance. I still have that work locally, so if these would be useful, I could try to finish them up.

Yaakov