Re: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect reported as permission denied

On 08/10/2012 07:32 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 8/10/2012 7:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I use Cygwin a lot. And I kick off Windows processes a lot. Recently I've
been having a problem with my system but from Cygwin all I see is
"permission denied":

Ltsdo-adefaria:cd /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/IBM/RationalSDLC/Clearquest
Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l clearquest.exe
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 Administrators clearusers 245760 Jun 2 2011
clearquest.exe*
Ltsdo-adefaria:clearquest
bash: ./clearquest: Permission denied
Ltsdo-adefaria:

However if I use cmd the real error message comes out:

    Ltsdo-adefaria:cmd /c clearquest
    The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
    configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or
    use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I know that this "side-by-side configuration is incorrect" is a
configuration error on my machine and I need to fix it, but shouldn't
Cygwin's exec(2) report the "side-by-side" error instead of the more
erroneous "Permission denied" error?

Cygwin doesn't report Windows error codes. It reports POSIX ones. I have no idea why there would be a POSIX error code for side-by-side errors but if there were, then reporting that is more appropriate.
I thought that perhaps Cygwin would report back error *messages* not just error *codes*...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.