Re: Promote sqlite 3.7.13-1 from test status?

On 8/17/2012 02:22, Warren Young wrote:
> On 8/16/2012 10:34 AM, Brian Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Corina
>
> Corinna.
>
>> is correct, Cygwin is supposed to be a Posix compliant environment
>
> It's also supposed to interoperate with native Windows programs.

That's fine when it works, but that is not always the case.

>> If you want to use Windoze tools, why are you using Cygwin?
>
> First, instant 100 point credibility penalty for being puerile.
>
> Second, the whole reason for using Cygwin is so you could have a
> Linux/POSIX environment *on Windows.*  If you have no need for Windows
> programs and want a Cygwin-like environment, wouldn't you be running
> Linux, or a BSD, or OS X, or Solaris, or...?

So it's Cygwin's fault when a Windows program interferes with it? I
still think Cygwin should prioritize compatibility with Cygwin programs,
anything else is just icing on the cake.

> Okay, so you come back saying something about how there should be some
> Chinese Wall between the Cygwin and native Windows lands.  In that case,
> I recommend you install one of the above-named OSes in a VM.  It'll be
> faster and more featureful.

In fact, yes, especially in places win32 clashes with POSIX
implementation. I could go on and on about how they differ, for example
BLODA, network API, file IO, symlink implementation, you've just seen
one yourself.

> I'm actually struggling to come up with a reason why you would *ever*
> run Cygwin if you didn't ever want it to touch the native Windows side
> of things, or vice versa.  I guess it uses less RAM and starts up faster
> than a VM....

Sure, a VM isn't always practical or even available, especially when
byzantine IT policies is in place. For instance, I don't want a VM
simply to use a Cygwin irc client.