File access slow with using key authentication.

Running CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.16(0.262/5/3) on Windows 2008R2 box.

When using SSH to come in through UNIX, we'd like to use public key authentication.  The problem is that when we do it can take up to 5 minutes to even pull down a directory listing on a Windows share using ls -l from the Cygwin terminal.  If we do without the key and enter the password manually, things speed up vastly, but we want to authenticate automatically and would prefer to use a key.   I believe I understand why it's happening, but I'm having trouble figuring how to work around this.  The goal is to have Unix kick off a Perl script residing on the Windows server, which will process files located on a CIFS share on a storage appliance.  The Perl script is using UNC to access the shared directories.  I've even tried various ways to mount the directories using fstab and that's not helping either.  I've only been working with Cygwin for less than a month and would appreciate some insight.

-Paul