Re: FW: File access slow with using key authentication.

On 9/5/2012 4:47 PM, Maglinger, Paul wrote:
Anyone?

Running CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.16(0.262/5/3) on Windows 2008R2 box.

When using SSH to come in through UNIX, we'd like to use public key
authentication. The problem is that when we do it can take up to 5 minutes
to even pull down a directory listing on a Windows share using ls -l from
the Cygwin terminal. If we do without the key and enter the password
manually, things speed up vastly, but we want to authenticate automatically
and would prefer to use a key. I believe I understand why it's happening,
but I'm having trouble figuring how to work around this. The goal is to have
Unix kick off a Perl script residing on the Windows server, which will
process files located on a CIFS share on a storage appliance. The Perl
script is using UNC to access the shared directories. I've even tried
various ways to mount the directories using fstab and that's not helping
either. I've only been working with Cygwin for less than a month and would
appreciate some insight.

I've read through your summary above at least twice now but I'm still having trouble grokking the details of what you're doing. Judging by the lack of other responses, I'm guessing others are similarly stymied. Perhaps you should back up and read the problem reporting guidelines found at the link below:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Details are important. Some pieces of information that may prove useful include:

  1. Does sshing to the same server (presumably running Cygwin's sshd)
     from that or other Cygwin machine exhibit the same problem?

  2. How big is the directory you're running 'ls -l' on?  Do the results
     change if you instead use just '"ls"'?

  3. Who's the storage appliance's vendor?  Who has permissions to access
     it?  Keep in mind that public key authentication that's configured
     for you by default doesn't allow unfettered access to network shares.
     See <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview>
     for a detailed description of the authentication options and
     restrictions.

-- Larry