associating volume labels with drive letters

From: Corinna Vinschen
On Jul 29 15:34, Schwarz, Konrad wrote:

> > > corresponding

<snip>
> > In Linux, you can look up the mount point for device /dev/sdXY
> > in /proc/mounts or in the output of mount(8).  Thus, given
> > a volume label, you can figure out where to access the files
> > on the volume.
> >
> > How do you do that in Cygwin?
>
> ls /cygdrive.  Insert the disk.  ls /cygdrive again.  There's a new
> directory entry now.
>
> Or, open the "Computer" Window on your desktop.

Dredging up an old thread
(http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2011-07/msg00390.html)...

Regarding Corinna's last suggestion, it seems to me that if
Windows can associate a volume label with a drive letter,
there must be a way to script this association, whether
using Cygwin shell commands directly or indirectly through
DOS commands.

Using blkid(8), from the util-linux package, I can get a device
name from a label:

$ blkid -L CRUZER
/dev/sdc1

Now, if I'm on the right path, how can I associate that
block-special file with a drive letter or a /cygdrive/x
path reference?

--Ken Nellis