Re: Relationship between Cygwin and Cygwin Ports

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 23:34 +0100, David Stacey wrote:
> Earlier this evening I submitted an ITP for yasm. I didn't realise at
> that point that yasm was available in Cygwin Ports - which means that I
> have probably just trodden on Yaakov's toes, and for that I apologise.

Don't worry about it.  I do ask that people check with me first before
moving Ports packages into the distro, so that I can make sure there are
no reasons not to, or in case I'd really rather maintain the package
myself.  yasm is a straight-forward package, and I have no objections to
handing it over if you are prepared to maintain it.

> Please could someone kindly explain the difference between Cygwin and
> Cygwin Ports. Why are they kept separate, and under what circumstances
> could a package migrate between the two? Apologies if I should know
> this, but there doesn't appear to be mention of it in the Cygwin FAQ.

Marco mostly covered this already.  Ports is an additional package
repository which augments, and is built on top of, the main Cygwin
distro.  Some packages may require additional testing or dependencies,
others may be of only limited interest, and many are there just because
its easier for me than ITPing them one-by-one.  That's why it's best if
you check first.  (Python3 and TeX Live are recent examples of packages
which others have taken over from Ports, with my assistance.)

HTH,

Yaakov