Re: Problem with HTTPS in LWP module in Perl

2012/11/6 Helmut Karlowski <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>:
> Achim Gratz, 06.11.2012 17:48:19:
>

>> This has nothing to do with Cygwin, the same error happens on Linux:
>>
>> $ perl -e 'use LWP::Simple;' -e '($r=get("https://www.geocaching.com";)) or
>> print "$!\n$@\n";print "$r\n";'
>> Connection reset by peer
>> Can't connect to www.geocaching.com:443
>

> Just got this in lynx (after waiting real long):
>
> Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily for maintenance on Tuesday,
> November 6, 2012 at approximately 6pm PST
>
> Maybe that's the reason?

I don't think so, I'm having this for days and from Cygwin yes, but
Ubuntu and Debian no, so I don't think this is caused by the server.

> links still timeouts while lynx says after some
> minutes:
>
> unable to get local issuer certificate - Continue?
>
> when I agree it worked before but now issues:
>
> Suche nach www.geocaching.com
> HTTPS-Verbindung zu www.geocaching.com wird aufgebaut.
> Verbindung erneut versuchen, ohne TLS.
> Suche nach www.geocaching.com
> HTTPS-Verbindung zu www.geocaching.com wird aufgebaut.
> SSL callback:unable to get local issuer certificate, preverify_ok=0,
> ssl_okay=0
> SSL callback:certificate not trusted, preverify_ok=0, ssl_okay=1
> SSL callback:certificate not trusted, preverify_ok=1, ssl_okay=1
> SSL callback:certificate not trusted, preverify_ok=1, ssl_okay=1
> Obacht: Unable to make secure connection to remote host.
>
> lynx: Unzugängliche Startdatei https://www.geocaching.com/
>
> lynx exits here.
>
> (sorry for german).
>
> Also the other urls I cannot connect to with links work with lynx after
> answering the above certificate-question and a long time of waiting.

lynx behaves similar to LWP with Net::SSL as socket class and hostname
verification off.
It sends a TLSv1 Client Hello.
Then times out waiting for the Server Hello.
Then sends again an SSLv3 Client Hello and kind of succeeds.
So it shows the same behaviour for the TLSv1 case which should work as
curl shows.