Using the free(*ptr) routine and getting an exception, "Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION"

I am using eclipse cdt on Windows 8 and the latest Cygwin gcc release.  I
have been barely using any C for awhile, so really it is like I am just
starting.  I am trying to do something simple:
int *ptr = malloc(sizeof(*ptr));
	int x = 87;
	ptr = &x;
	printf("%d", *ptr);
	free(ptr);//it goes wrong here
where as this works:
int *ptr = malloc(sizeof(*ptr));
	printf("%d", *ptr);
	free(ptr);//so if I don't store anything it works
I searched and couldn't find anything.  I have tried disabling windows
defender and also running eclipse as an administrator.  Also, I tried it in
the Cygwin bash console, and I got the same type of exception.
I do not think that this is a problem with eclipse, but maybe Cygwin or
Windows 8(the two together).