Re: stat() and tilde prefix (was bad bash tab completion)

On 1/15/2013 2:39 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

The first step of converting a POSIX path to a Windows path is to
normalize the path.  "." and ".." components are simply dropped:

    "a/b/./c"  -> "a\b\c"
which isn't correct already (even if everything exists) because if b is
a symbolic link, "b/.." is *not* "." -
(I think I came across this bug a few times already without really
noticing it as a bug, having taken it as some spurious glitch...)
(Not sure whether this case is covered by further arguments in this thread)

Only if it's a Cygwin symlink. Which I'm avoiding in my daily work, since NTFS now offers the same functionality.

Certainly if the native facilities work for you, you should use them. But I think there's been enough discussion in the past on this subject to acknowledge that the native functionality doesn't support all that Cygwin symlinks do. I'm making this (very) brief statement for the benefit of those that come across this in the archives. Anyone seeking clarification or more details should look in the archives for previous discussions on this subject.

--
Larry