Re: sshd service will not start on Windows 7

On 1/29/2013 8:14 PM, misterblinky wrote:
I installed cygwin on my windows 7 64-bit machine with openSSH and openSSL,
nothing else.

I then install sshd via ssh-host-config. I have tried with privilege
separation and without it.

best way is with separation

The end result is the same: I cannot start sshd
as a service (via net start sshd). When I do, I get the message "The CYGWIN
sshd service could not be started."

I agree MS is a disaster as log message ..

The messages I've gotten in /var/log/sshd.log has varied. Most often, I've gotten the message "/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable". But I just did another clean install of cygwin and went through the process again and there are no messages in sshd.log though the server reports as usual that it cannot be started. (NOTE: I'm not suggesting that the results change even though i go through the same steps -- I'm trying different combinations of suggestions found on the web, sometimes with slightly different results, but always with the sshd server not starting.)

I've removed and clean installed cygwin probably 30 times, trying different
tweaks.

Here are some more details:

In ssh-host-config interaction, I chose to create the privileged users
cyg_server. After installing, as expected cyg_server is the owner of these
files/dirs:

/var/empty
/etc/ssh*

Also, I changed permissions to /var/log and /var/log/sshd.log to 777 just to
ensure that access to this wasn't blocked. I also tried various options
(like chown-ing these to cyg_server).

The service is configured to run under .\cyg_server with the proper
password.

I always install cygwin as "Administrator" and I open my cygwin console as
"Administrator".

whoami gives me my windows login name as expected. However, NOT as expected
the "groups <my-id>" command doesn't say that I'm in the Administrator
group, which I am. It shows only "Domain Users". I've tried some workarounds
suggested for "Domain Users" and none have succeeded

what about just "groups" ?

I've worked at this for 3 days (!!) and now I'm just dizzy and need some knowledgable help.

thanks in advance for your time/thoughts

see
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

please post the "cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out" output, just to see if something else is wrong.

As you are a "Domain User" I will not be surprised if some Domain policy is blocking you.